|SUPERVALU and Its Family of Stores Help Make It Easier to Have a Joyful Holiday|
MINNEAPOLIS, Nov 10, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The holidays typically mean parties, shopping, good food and quality time spent with family and friends. For many, they also mean hectic schedules, extra meal planning, entertaining and kids home on vacation, all of which translate to more work for those in charge of making the holidays happen. That's why SUPERVALU(R) (NYSE: SVU) and its nationwide family of grocery stores, including Acme(R), Albertsons(R), Cub Foods(R), Farm Fresh(R), Hornbacher's(R), Jewel-Osco(R), Shaw's/Star Market(TM), Shop 'n Save(R) and Shoppers Food & Pharmacy(R), have cooked up an array of tools, tips and savings -- both in-store and online -- to make it easier for customers, and their families, to have a joyful holiday season.
For shoppers looking to save money, wow their guests, give back to the community and still have time to enjoy the season, SUPERVALU has solutions for everyday meals, as well as the big occasions. Specific programs and offerings vary by store but may include:
- Celebrity chef solution guides: SUPERVALUhas teamed with Susan Feniger, a "Top Chef Masters," award-winning chef, restaurateur, cookbook author and authority on ethnic-inspired cuisine, Gale Gand, nationally acclaimed pastry chef and former host of the Food Network's "Sweet Dreams," Gerry Garvin, cookbook author and host of the show "Turn Up the Heat with G. Garvin" who is known for his super simple sophisticated recipes, and Robin Miller, who is famous for helping busy families get delicious meals on the table fast and is a cookbook author, nutritionist and host of Food Network's "Quick Fix Meals," to provide shoppers with exclusive recipes, tips, ideas and coupons for the holiday season. Two 48-page, four-color guides, each featuring the celebrity chefs, will be available in participating stores, while supplies last.
- Joy Rewards Game: SUPERVALU is bringing its instant-win Joy Rewards promotion to shoppers in select markets in November or while game cards last. Under the Joy Rewards program, shoppers who spend $50 or more on qualifying purchases will receive a special game card and the chance to win thousands of prizes instantly, including store gift cards, cookware, products and accessories. Nine lucky shoppers will win $10,000 each toward a kitchen makeover. The Joy Rewards program is available at Acme, participating Albertsons' stores, Cub Foods, Farm Fresh and Hornbacher's.
- "Joy Is in the Bag:" Shoppers can purchase special-edition reusable holiday shopping bags in Hope, Peace, Love or Cheer themes. Even better, each costs only $1.99, and stores will donate 10 percent of the purchase price to a local charity.
"SUPERVALU recognizes that the holidays are a special time of joy and celebration, a chance to have fun and reconnect with loved ones," said Julie Dexter Berg, SUPERVALU's chief marketing officer. "In honor of the season, we created a number of new programs and offers to enhance our customers' experience and add a little holiday cheer. In addition, whether they are looking for inspiration for the main holiday meal or need some simple, everyday meal ideas to delight family and friends during the hectic holiday season, we've got tools and solutions for them."
Other holiday in-store events and promotions may include:
- Gift Card Mall: To make gift-giving easy, stores will feature a kiosk with gift cards from national brands, including Best Buy(TM), iTunes and Kohl's(R). In addition, each of the stores will offer special-edition peppermint scratch 'n sniff gift cards. And, during select weeks, shoppers who purchase $100 in participating gift cards will receive an in-store coupon good for at least $10 off their next purchase.
- Baking Solution Center: Because 'tis the season, stores will help make holiday baking quick and easy by organizing holiday baking staples in a convenient location near the front of the store.
- Giving Joy: Participating stores are making it easy for customers to help those in need have a little more joy this season. Customers will have the opportunity to donate $1, $5 or $10 at checkout registers to help bring a traditional holiday dinner to a family in need in their community.
Expanding stores' presence online
This year, SUPERVALU has expanded its online holiday presence. Information about promotions, events, special offers and coupons can be found on store websites and Facebook pages, and are accessible by on-the-go customers via mobile phone.
Not all offers or events are available in every store location. Customers should check stores in their area for participation.
About SUPERVALU INC.
SUPERVALU INC. is one of the largest companies in the U.S. grocery channel with estimated annual sales of $38 billion. SUPERVALU serves customers across the United States through a network of approximately 4,280 stores composed of approximately 1,160 traditional retail stores, including 813 in-store pharmacies; 1,210 hard-discount stores, of which 876 are operated by licensee owners; and 1,910 independent stores serviced primarily by the company's traditional food distribution business. SUPERVALU has approximately 150,000 employees. For more information about SUPERVALU visit www.supervalu.com.
Mike Siemienas, 952-828-4245
Carmichael Lynch Spong
Kristi Nelson, 612-375-8545